Friday, January 15, 2016
In this week's Ryan Rundown: U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan attended his first State of the Union as speaker of the House.
He criticized Barack Obama's speech, saying the president's critical tone of Donald Trump and other GOP candidates "degrades the presidency."
Ryan sat next to Vice President Joe Biden during the speech, prompting commentary on Twitter for the speaker's "poker face" over the president's shoulder. While Ryan used Obama's final State of the Union address to underscore his differences with the president, the speaker praised South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley's Republican response, calling her a "visionary … inclusive leader."
The Janesville Republican was the subject of praise for his speech at the recent Kemp Forum on Expanding Opportunity. Ryan said conservatives must develop a strategy to respond to the 45 million Americans who live in poverty, prompting some to declare him the winner of the anti-poverty summit, which drew several GOP presidential candidates.
But Ryan also continued to clash with House Republicans, this time over the time allocated for voting. After warning lawmakers he would not accommodate late votes, Ryan closed voting on Iran sanction legislation after the allocated 15 minutes, leaving 137 lawmakers out of the vote.
The bill passed 191 to 106, but GOP leaders vacated the vote, citing protests from absent Republicans. The House will vote again on the measure during the week of Jan. 25.
- Barack Obama and Paul Ryan share the stage at State of Union speech
- Paul Ryan: Obama's State of the Union 'degrades the presidency'
- Paul Ryan's SOTU 'poker face' mocked on Twitter
- Ryan practicing his 'poker face' for State of the Union
- Joe Biden and Paul Ryan: The State of the Union's odd couple
- Paul Ryan's beard is shaved for 'fresh' look for the State of the Union
- It's official: President Obama has broken up with Congress
- Paul Ryan: Nikki Haley has 'extremely bright' future in GOP
- House Conservatives: Not willing to 'play dead' for Ryan
- Ryan, McConnell lead in different directions
- McConnell and Ryan try to get along
- Paul Ryan is rapidly emerging as Republicans' anti-Trump
- Paul Ryan dreams of a kinder, more substantive GOP
- Paul Ryan calls on Republicans to be 'inspirational and inclusive'
- Ryan: GOP must be 'inspirational, inclusive'
- Ryan says House will go 'on offense' in 2016
- Why Paul Ryan may have to give up on his legislative agenda
- Ryan emerges as 'big winner' from poverty summit featuring GOP prez candidates
- Paul Ryan, haunted by the past and concerned for the GOP's future, puts poverty in the spotlight
- Paul Ryan thrusts poverty into 2016 conversation
- Paul Ryan turns the GOP presidential race toward a forgotten issue: poverty
- Why Paul Ryan stopped referring to 'makers' and 'takers'
- As Speaker Paul Ryan focuses on poverty, he admits he was 'wrong' to refer to people using government assistance as 'takers'
- Paul Ryan regrets skipping poor neighborhoods in VP run
- Paul Ryan pushes Republicans to make poverty an issue
- Speaker Ryan chastises lawmakers for late votes
- Speaker Ryan closes Iran vote swiftly to punish tardiness
- Paul Ryan to House: When there's a vote, folks have to show up on time
- Paul Ryan cuts off Iran vote in rebuff to tardy lawmakers
- Hey, Congress! Paul Ryan does not like it when you're tardy
- How a third of Congress just thumbed their noses at Paul Ryan
- Can Paul Ryan save the GOP from itself?
- How Paul Ryan is quietly shaping the presidential race
- S.C. Gov. Nikki Haley, House Speaker Paul Ryan offer new GOP answer to Trump
- Paul Ryan: 'Of course I will' support Donald Trump if he is the nominee
- Paul Ryan brings a dose of Kemp optimism into the 2016 campaign
- Ryan, Haley offer messages of diversity as antidote to Donald Trump
- Speaker Paul Ryan uses Gov. Nikki Haley to stab at Trump's immigration-reform plans
- Paul Ryan wonders why Obama didn't cry over ISIS attacks
- Paul Ryan wants to know why Obama cried over 20 murdered first-graders but not ISIS beheadings
- Paul Ryan orders closer look at authorizing war against ISIS
- Three things we didn't know about Paul Ryan
- House Speaker Paul Ryan: A day in his life, his thoughts on the candidates
- CBS host hits Paul Ryan for latest Obamacare repeal attempt: 'How is that an alternative?'
- Ryan formally signs Obamacare repeal bill
- Congress sends health law repeal to Obama for first time
- Paul Ryan invites nuns fighting Obamacare mandate to SOTU
- For all their political differences, Biden and Ryan share striking similarities
- Dick Morris: Paul Ryan backed huge budget bill to avoid shutdown
- Rebecca Vallas: Paul Ryan's anti-poverty summit: A test of Republicans' sincerity on poverty
- Tommy Christopher: Friendly fire: Paul Ryan busts Paul Ryan for saying there's no gun show loophole
- Steve Benen: Paul Ryan captures what's wrong with the gun debate
- Bob Lonsberry: Hey Paul Ryan -- Thanks for nothing
- CO editorial: Paul Ryan's push against poverty
- Charles Pierce: Reminder: Paul Ryan is the biggest fake in American politics ... What are the gobshites saying these days?
- Aaron Hanlon: Ayn Rand will destroy the GOP: Paul Ryan, gun control and the brazen, cynical politics of self-interest
- Julia Hahn: House of cards: Paul Ryan's campaign to mislead voters on his immigration stance
- Paul Ryan: Water rules show EPA's overreach
- Yael Abouhalkah: Speaker Paul Ryan mocked mercilessly after dissing President Obama
- Jennifer Rubin: Paul Ryan says what few pols say
- David Dagan: Paul Ryan could take the easy road on criminal justice reform. He shouldn't
- Paul Krugman: Paul Ryan dada
- Steve Benen: Paul Ryan struggles to explain Obama-era economy
Back to DC Wrap main page
Copyright ©2012 WisPolitics.com All rights reserved. |
WisOpinion.com | WisBusiness.com | Website development by wisnet.com LLC | Website design by Makin’ Hey Communications